Saturday 19 May 2007

vintage

Blame Chris for the bellow post. I was drunk in bed at 11:00pm Thursday night and asked him to hand me the computer when he went downstairs to speak to Alex. I came up with that. Even I think that I'm a twat.

Today is the big day. The FA Cup finals plus test cricket happening all day i.e. it's Chris big day and I'm along for the ride. However, I'm a convert, cricket is brilliant. A bit dull at points but can be spoken about with such enthusiasm. As we were walking home from dinner after work, Chris kept yammering on about how exciting it is, with I think 4 English players hitting centuries and blah blah blah, "it's such a slow sport, it's so British" he said. He's so British and it's so British and I'm being subjected to it all day long and I'm ok with that.

Canadians and Brits are quite similar, more so than Canadians and Americans (well at least our outlooks, in my personal opinion, Brits have a similar sort of arrogance to Americans, but a better kind, not that I don't like Americans, they're great minus the idiotic kind who don't know if they've crossed the border and need to use "funny money"). Or maybe it's because I'm slowly assimilating and by slowly I suppose it's rather rapid, but ultimately survival of the fittest.

But of course, Chris and I just had our continental clash over personal hygiene. He wanted to go and take a shower, however our towels are in the wash and still wet. But we have one that's clean and dry and he grabbed but I asked "what am I going to use?" and he was almost too quick to drop the thing and say "you go ahead, I won't take a shower". He's gone to take a quick splash.

Is this highly irrelevant? I don't mean solely that anecdote but this whole post in general. I think when you spend a long amount of time away from home and make a new niche for yourself when you truly feel comfortable then the differences and clashes between how you're socialized and everyone else because obvious but unimportant.

This is the longest I've ever been away from home at one time as I've now been here for 8 months. So it's safe to assume it's no longer a novelty but I'm excited and appreciative every day that I'm here.

And I might have some big news to announce...but I'm not going to speak too soon.

I don't like cricket. I love it.

No comments: