Thursday 14 August 2008

scrolls

I'm having a lovely time wiki-ing unimportant things such as 'reading' and authors. I can hear Chris speaking the background to our friend Sid about WAR (the Russian-Georgian war, which was played out, this afternoon, on sand, in sexy bikinis, in a beach volleyball game, which, Chris and I found ourselves rather enjoying, and Georgia winning).

I just read that Allen Ginsberg gave the last reading of his life on my birthday, in 1996. I like being mildly schizophrenic and thinking it's mildly related in some way with me (or is that just vanity?), as in how I always do well when I write exams on my birthday, which happened each year during university. I used to write a manual journal dating back to when I was about six and stopped around this time last year because I started typing in a public forum and I guess I no longer had any burning crushes that couldn't be discussed or dark horses too intimate (all of those things, I kept to myself or place in parentheses). Anyway the point of the story is that about every 4 months I would fill in all the music that I'm currently listening to, or books I'm reading etc etc like a Nick Hornby philosophy of what you like is who you are. Also, it's fun to read back and see you were so cutting edge, and now you're clutching to The Hits- Hot Hits Party Bangers. And the moral of that story, is that Facebook has fully replaced all of this. And Last Fm. And these mediums have made it categorically better, with columns, reviews, statistics.

But I think one thing is definitely lacking that I used to go in depth about. The written word- my handwriting and how it's telling of my mood. My font says that I'm sort of Gen Next Cyborg following the religion of Apple but my handwriting, now having been out of work for over two months, has literally gone to shit. And filling in the crossword has become difficult for me to do because I'm shaky. My finger tips however, are as punchy as ever and when reading about reading, it makes you want to write about writing.

No comments: