Tuesday 6 January 2009

high concept

I think television has been very good lately. The movies that are being played that is. A few nights ago, What Women Want staring Mel Gibson, before the anti-semitic hate tirade. Chris, who I forced to sit down a watch with me, actually quite enjoyed it. As did I. He turned to me and said: "So do you think this is high concept done right?". I know that he secretly enjoyed the movie because he didn't make any sassy comments about the ridiculousness of it all. And really why should he?

Romantic comedies are one of my greatest vices. It's not even a 'they're so bad they're good'. They're just generally good. And I loved to be entertained.

Sunday night: 8pm. I am very excited because "Look Who's Talking" is on. One thing I miss from home is TBS showing movies all day Saturday and Sunday and I do have fond memories of this film. For instance, I can't hear the Beach Boys 'Get Around' without thinking about the opening scene (you know, the one with the sperm...). That is actually quite morbid, I can't believe my parents let me watch that when I was what, 5, 6 maybe? And I can't believe they ever let me listen to the Beach Boys after that too.

And even though Chris wasn't actively watching, I could see him chuckling behind the computer screen. Yet another example of 'high concept, done right'.

I'm living in my own high concept inner monologue (and no it's not a little voice inside my head!). I writing now quite intensely and am having quite deep thoughts right before I fall asleep but instead of just getting up, I'm falling asleep and forgetting what I wanted to say. I'm sort of breaking my own heart here.

No comments: