Thursday 27 November 2008

werewolves

Yesterday was passed just splendidly. Old episodes of the OC on dvd, warm lunch, yoga, all the makings of tranquility. Wednesday is usually my counterproductive day then Thursday I clean up the mess that I've made and feel better about doing nothing the day before. I was very mellowed out.

Took the bus into Angel and met Chris for an early showing of Choke and Mucho Mas. We had an array of sweeties and laughed at inappropriate lines in the film (that you are supposed to laugh at but I think everyone in the cinema didn't feel it was right, and at some points, we were the only two laughing, which makes it feel illicit but you know it's not). Still very calm, serene. We get back home and I call my sister. We laugh quite a bit, mostly at things about my brother. It's all very docile still.

Bed time. Chris and I laugh and this is usually the time that I torture him by making whiny noises (by torture, I mean just doing impressions of him...whining). Brushed teeth. Washed face. Still placid, but a little bit cold. We always read before bed and I'm currently reading Dork Whore by Iris Bahr. It's her travel memoir and it's quite funny however it does not invoke any crazy fantastical subconscious memos in my mind so just bare that thought.

Quietly we read, sometimes we read stuff out loud to each other that we find particularly funny. Then we hear all this roaring. Our bedroom is on the canal side of the flat towards the back and it sounds like it's coming from beside us and to the front. It's a bit alarming but Chris doesn't seem to think much of it. It's getting progressively louder now, more phlegmy, quite visceral. We look at each other a bit confused and Chris thinks it's someone watching tv, but my immediate reaction is tyrannosaurus rex. I'm rather tense now but Chris doesn't seem phased. It kind of stops, then starts again ever more loudly.

I'm thankful that we're in the flat but know that a t rex could easily break down our front door. And now the noises seem like they're all around us, and there are people now shouting and I am genuinely afraid. I remember after I saw Jurassic Park in cinema with my family, I dreamt a t rex was in our house and I lodged myself between two sofas. But I can still picture from my dream, looking up and seeing his big bite chomping down but unable to get me. This all comes flashing back.

We decide we need to investigate because its' been going on for over half an hour now and it's nearly 1am. So we go into the kitchen and open the window and hear all this shouting and nonsense. And we can see people across the road are standing on their balconies watching something happening in the distance. The angle is too sharp for us to see anything so Chris opens the front door and leans out. I yell for him to a)not get shot and b)not get eaten.

Yeah, it was just some super drunk guy, sitting on a wall, who was yelling at the police about how "he saw death" when was young. Roar.

No comments: