Monday 24 November 2008

chilly

I am freezing. I am a warm person but I am freezing. This weekend dropped about 33 degrees. Early Friday evening, I met with Skye and went for wine and private club tapas (which, to be honest was only mini fish and chips and chips and chips) then Chris and I were supposed to go out with Pippa and Jonas however the gig we ordered tickets for, sold out before they could acquire. So Chris and I went alone. I'm not so much into new music as I am into discovering music that is new to me and I think Friday night was an excellent example of such.

I'm not snobby, pretentious, wankery (I hope) about music however I do feel strongly against the over-hype of something mediocre. We saw this band/chick named Little Boots which people keep banging on about. And not that she was bad, but each of her songs sounded like a disco song. It could have been the wine that made me hear things other than the way I'm supposed to hear them, but the first song they played sounded exactly like 'Ring my Bell'. I take grievance to the idea that someone could write that they're/she is so amazing when she sounds like a song from one of the most panned musical genres. I know my argument has serious holes but my feet are cold and I don't wish to dig deeper.

Yesterday, Chris and I had tickets to see Clinic, who I have never seen live before. I guess we were on some musical escapade this weekend because we rarely go to gigs any more, unless it's something really worth it. Anyway, so Clinic when they perform wear scrubs, doctors mask etc and because I hadn't seen them live, I wondered how they would sound singing through their masks which sparked this huge debate/argument with Chris and I about musicians who wear costumes/have stage personaes/use a shtick and whether when they record, should they wear their outfits or not. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty because before we had this argument, I said that I felt as a person that I'm "post-pretentious" and what we discussed, that really did carry on ALL DAY LONG makes me sound like a supertwat.

Anyway, so when Clinic perform, they cut slits in their doctor's masks so they can sing without the restraint. I thought it made them look like scary birds. Nonetheless, that was an excellent gig.

No comments: