Thursday 18 December 2008

I just didn't feel like it ok?

I turned 24 on Tuesday. It was anti-climatic.

One resolution however is that my immigration woes are all sorted now for the next two years. Unless Chris and I divorce, I'll have full settlement then and be smooth sailing for life.

But why would I divorce such a hilarious creature? I didn't realise how astutely perfect Chris was for me. Not just as some lover but as some x factor entertainment. How did I find someone so unaware of his own ridiculous behaviour. Maybe it's my family and how we're now all conditioned to laugh at people when they say things strangely. This is what we do. I'm usually the butt of all jokes in the household because I feign enthusiasm and politeness quite well which evidently is subject to ridicule. Sometimes however my brother can say bonhead things too.

But Chris. All of last week was coming out with these zingers that were making me hysterical. By virtuous wonder (and constant repetition), I've been able to remember a few. Let me set the scene first:

We have been back at Chris' parents house just outside of Birmingham for a few days now:

me: what do you want to do?
Chris: I don't know, want to play a game?
me: Ok. Do you have a deck of cards, we could play poker?
Chris: Yeah but we have nothing to play for.
me: We could play strip poker?
Chris: Or we could get my mum's box of buttons!!

a few days after that:

Chris: So I was thinking, there must be a website that has new trivial pursuit questions on them. I saw I look them up, print off a few American questions for you, British questions for me, get my parents in on it too and have a game on the ol' board?

and a few days after that:

me: I'm going a bit stir crazy
Chris: Well I could drop you off somewhere
me: But I don't know how to get back here
Chris: well just give me a ding dong and I'll come and pick you right up

Maybe it was delirium or maybe it was cabin fever. Or maybe it's because Chris is the driest, moody least enthusiastic person and to hear any sort of child like excitement from him really tickles me. Or maybe because if I had said any of the previous things in front of my family I would have been shunned and excommunicated and most likely would have preferred it that way because my sisters and brother never stop laughing. We're not mean, and I'm not either. It's endearing.

No comments: