Saturday 20 December 2008

troubling times for ladies

Last night I stupidly watched this show on BBC4 called WAG Wannabe. It was 1am and Chris and I had just finished Scarface (I'm still recovering from the flu so a lazy Friday night in isn't completely out of the question). Maybe I was all riled up from that but I just lost it on Chris whilst watching a show about women going to clubs, expecting footballers to buy them free champagne and they just think they have to laugh at their jokes in return, and then eventually they'll get married.

In the light of day, I don't really care anymore. But last night, as my over-educated husband and myself were getting ready for bed, me washing my face with $60 YSL face wash and poor Chris using the last vestiges of our £3 toothpaste I was fired up. And I just spouting "I hate girls" with thin exfoliator rubbed into my face. I went to bed so annoyed (mostly because I'm still all stuffed up, I couldn't come up with a convincingly great argument, just a typical one). This morning however, I feel a bit better about our species- that being girls of course.

A few weeks ago, I went out for dinner with my friend Suzy. She's very bright, so driven and extremely determined. She just finished her second architecture degree and with working in London in the 'building sector', keeping your job during this recession is fundamental. She had been a bit down because of her work situation, with everything being up in the air and all, and I of course have been a self-involved, self-righteous tit for the latter half of this year so together, we're great! But in all actuality, we were. We spent about 20 minutes griping about our lives but then spent another 2 1/2 hours saying nice things to each other and being supportive, which shock horror! was really nice. It may have been the many cocktails and bottle and half of wine we shared but I never realised how nice it is to truly believe and say nice, supportive things to someone. To tell Suzy that I do think she is one of the most focused, driven people I've ever met was a good thing, not only for her, but for me too. And for her to say nice, great things to me was really uplifting and gave me a nice little confidence boaster.

I'm sure this sounds all very hokey but for girls who spend a better portion of our time gossiping, complaining, griping about other people and ourselves, it's important to hear good things another girl thinks about you. I'm making it a new rule in 2009 to say positive things about my friends, to my friends.

Say later that night, Suzy went back to her house, had a Bailey's and discussed our bodies and all the physiological changes happening with age (this is because we went out for dinner to celebrate my birthday, I'm glad we just celebrated each other). Suzy's final suggestion to me was to buy a bigger bra. This is what good friends are for.

No comments: