Monday 19 January 2009

paper and pencil

Today I was doodling.

Well to be honest, I am a printer. I hate my cursive handwriting and have always printed, it's curvy print mind. Today however I was drawing a beach scene when I thought about trying to write my new last name which I haven't officially taken yet as a double-barrel and I'm not sure if I'm really going to.

So anyway, Branson really writes nicely. It's quite loopy. So I started to try to do my name, with a hyphen Branson. Not the same illusion as my swiggly signature however with time perhaps it could look nice. And this lead to write my mum's name, who, let me preface by saying, has the nicest handwriting.

As a girl, we've all sat in our parent's bedroom, when mum is putting on make up and getting ready to go out. And watching her getting all dolled up makes you envious that you're only 6 and can't even play in the back garden without permission. Well take that and apply it to watching your mother write. I find it so therapeutic to see you her sign a credit card receipt (more so if she bought me something good!) or watching her construct grocery lists. I'm not sure of the household you were brought up in, but in mine, we're all desperate to please our parents, to emulate them, to be their little perfect mirrored creatures. Usually it's the parents who want their children to be like theirs, but at our house, we all want to be our parents. So I'm envious that my mother has such stylish handwriting, such a feminine signature.

And today, I could finally forge it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really dig this post.

I've always been in love with my mother's handwriting as well.

Even when I realized that it was her hand scratching "To Kayla From Santa" all over presents, it never ruined anything for me because her handwriting is so comforting.

*sigh*

just little said...

Aside from it being riddled with grammatical errors.

That's a very sweet story, good detective work.