Monday 23 February 2009

i feel good

the Oscars aren't wildly watched here because they don't start until 1am, and they're on SkyMovies which is insanely expensive to subscribe to, but Chris being resourceful managed to stream it online to ABC in San Diego. So I have this weird thing now where I can't watch American or even Canadian news because it seems as though they're being ironic. It's just so sensational in comparison to the way British news is presented and now I can no longer take it seriously. This extends to American commercials as well. They're just so flashy and loud with wild graphics. (Not that British adverts are any better i.e. "I am going to do a poo at Paul's).

But wow- during the Oscars last night, America come good. There were so many great commercials reflecting the times perfectly and using topical buzzwords etc. I really liked that it was all about community and pushing weight together, and that when you buy McDonalds, you're not just consuming but supporting college bursaries. I even cried during the Mastercard advert with Badger the Dog trying to find his way home. Wow- a post Obama America.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I missed all the American commercials :( I was watching via CTV so all I got was lame-o... :(