Monday 20 April 2009

automatique

My pledge: this week starts some new behaviour!

I've been at odds with myself over the past couple of months. I'm thinking blog isn't the best platform to discuss it because it's insanely self-indulgent but yesterday, Chris and I went to Brick Lane and we couldn't stop judging and thus calling people twats. Be it there are loads of twats that go there, and virtually everyone dresses the same, and don't even get me started on dredlocks right now. But wait, that's deviating from the plan. It was right around Commercial st., where we decided to go the long way round because we couldn't handle walking through the crowds yet again. But there, passing a Banksy, Chris went off how he likes the concept of Banksy, but doesn't think it works with middle class white people buying photographs of his art and hanging it up in their living room. My rebuttal being I'm sure he is very pleased because that means he gets paid. Then Chris and I had our usual Purists conversation blah blah blah. We're now on Shoreditch high st. complaining about the tat that people sell on the sidewalks. And about people meandering and looking around. So we sneak down Bethnal Green road where there are zero people, but there are plenty of potholes.

I finally say that we both need to stop bitching because it's spiraling wildly out of control. Now that's one fundamental thing that has changed about me since I've moved here. I'm not sure if it's Chris, who always uses irony in virtually everything so when he's judging and getting with pissy with people, it's always mildly amusing and done with a certain flair. I mean people used to always piss me off but I was never so vocal, and I can't say that I've ever gone about 4 blocks out of the way to avoid them. Maybe it's just London on Sunday. Maybe this sort of cynicism has always been in my core and is only now bubbling to the surface.

Regardless, I twisted my ankle on a pot hole and really hurt the ball of my foot. That's about when we stopped complaining about people and focused our attention on the new Shoreditch station. It's mid way completed which got us talking about retro-futures and Futurism, being a Totalitarian which lead to other stuff, which was absolutely not whiny, nor ironic, probably not funny either.

Anyway, what is funny is that after all of that, I had a dream last night where I called someone a c-u-n-t face under my breath. Hilarious thing to remember from a dream but this week, I intend to be very open to my surroundings including the idiots that may enter and who may leave. I'm just staying local this week which leaves the chances of people pissing me off are very tiny.

2 comments:

L. said...

I thought dreads only existed in Thailand and a 8 year old time capsule.

just little said...

Unfortunately not. They've become increasingly more prominent in London since the G20 summit. It's like when I was in kindergarten and wanted to cut the 'rattail' off the boys that sat in front of me.