Wednesday 27 May 2009

I tried to bake last night

I tried to bake last night. It was not a disaster. But it wasn't that stupendous either. I had a craving for peanut putter cookies and searched recipes online. I chose the wheat free version. The photo looked delicious. My dough was so sticky and Chris suggested another egg. So I added another egg. And it turned out even stickier. So I added more peanut butter. I was skeptical come this point. I started spooning the batter onto a make-shift cookie tray. I watched them bake for the prescribed 10 minutes. They looked like peanut butter meringues not cookies. I poked them at 12 minutes. They were still squishy in the centre. I kept them in for another 10 minutes. Chris was now skeptical at this point. We let them bake for another 10 minutes. They expanded. We accepted that perhaps they possessed inner-beauty.

Chris found them tasty enough. I thought they were an alright first foray into baking. I'm still craving peanut butter cookies with the crisscross on top. The crumbly, chewy kind. There is a positive though. This hankering in my mind is a reminder that I'm not as violently a housewife as I feared I was becoming. This cookie hole is a reminder.

3 comments:

tracy said...

baking cookies! you are heading towards housewife territory! i'm impressed as i can't bake sweets.

i did however make and bake meatballs from scratch the other day. i almost wrote a post about it. i may someday soon. it's amazing how amazed we are at our amateur cooking talents.

Anonymous said...

check out smitten kitchen.com- I find a lot of her recipes pretty straight forward and I normally get away with 'em no problemo.

Cooking/Baking involve some pretty sweet adventures!

(haha sweeet. adventures.)

Anonymous said...

ps- I forgot to tell you that yes I've watched Synecdoche New York and I really dug it! I need to watch it again I think... but I did enjoy it.