Monday 9 March 2009

cold war

We had at one point this Saturday 7 strangers sitting in our kitchen.

Chris and I had Derry, Jonas and Pippa come round for a bit of food, wine and Wii. All very fun and a bit silly as Jonas is regaling us with stories from his work (clearly you have to be able to laugh at redundancy right now, thankfully he was not made so, but everyone else around him was), then I had the bright idea to meet my friend Suzy at the pub up the market for one quick glass, which turned into two slow large batches of wine, which is fine but I'm full of remorse for missing out the boys attempting to beat my Guitar Hero 99% score.

So Suzy is there with her boyfriend Jakob who was there for a goodbye party for a Canadian girl moving to New York to be with her American boyfriend. Is everyone still following. So Suzy doesn't know these people, and I think Jakob only knows maybe two of them. Suzy and I then buy another bottle of wine as the pub was closing in 10 minutes and I hightail it back to mine with Suzy and Jakob following suit.

Back at our flat with everyone engrossed in Streetfighter, I'm forced to demonstrate my exceptional skills and was then booed off stage in Guitar Hero because I was now, clearly too drunk to feign hand/eye coordination. However I pulled it together after a pint of water and played a rough 87% game. And just as I was being lauded for my Spears-like comeback, our buzzer rings with Suzy, Jakob and a slew of strangers from the pub. And then plunk down in our kitchen whilst we keep playing Wii. I had briefly spoken with Canadian girl moving to NYC so we had a mild rapport however the 6 remaining strangers sat comfortably in my kitchen, not even attempting to make contact with the 5 of us, sitting across the room. Suzy and Jakob acted like moderators, sitting perfectly in the centre of room, the divide between us and them.

I can't help but feel it was all a bit high school. But the 7 strangers were perfectly nice and ended up leaving 30 minutes later. But this lead me to believe- what we weren't fun enough?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That kinda thing bothers me. I'm all about mingling. I can never understand why people stick to what they know. I guess it's comfy. hmmm