Monday 2 March 2009

hot, loquacious

I had the best Pakistani food on Saturday night at a restaurant off Brick lane. Basically a meat platter is brought to you still sizzling hot. I have only eaten lamb chops maybe twice before Saturday but I couldn't get enough but did eventually cut myself off because it was just too spicy. And I finished a bottle of wine on my own because that affliction.

I have discovered a formula for romance that I am comfortable with. Kissing certainly isn't as intimate as sharing socks and saving lovers blistered feet.

Last week I finished reading Wetlands (not sure if it has come out in Canada, I'll bet it has). I did enjoy it, vulgarity and all. It wasn't so much the sex that I found controversial, and not even her hygienic practices but the things she does to herself in order to consume bodily things and self administered injuries. It has had an incredible PR campaign behind and while I don't necessarily agree it's a post-feminist look at vagina hygiene or it's really all that provocative, or that I participate in anything that she does so it's ultimately not shocking to me, it did make me wrinkle my nose and my gag reflex did go off once which is astounding for a book. But girls in Canada, it's a German book that was published in the UK in February so I assume it will make its way to Canada soon and would recommend it. It's crass and explicit but not hypersexualised in a smutty sort of way. More smudgy. You'll understand once you read it.

This week, with any luck I intend to keep a low profile. There are two reasons why I want to stop writing this now. One being that I have nothing that useful left to write and the second being that I can't spell this evening. I've just tried to type surprisingly about 6 times before it was correct. So yeah, I'm quitting.

3 comments:

zurg said...

it appears i NEED to read this book.

Unknown said...

I would also like to read this book. Hmm.

Annddd it's available at Indigo- I just checked!

just little said...

I just checked out indigo as well and saw there was a piece in Globe and Mail. This book was virtually everyone in the lead up to its release and I assume the same will be done in Canada. But glad you can both read it. Let me know what you two think.